Injured In A Truck Wreck? Contact Reputable Anniston Truck Accident Lawyers Today
Traffic accidents can cause serious injuries. Large truck accidents have even more devastating impacts. These trucks, including semis, big rigs, tractor-trailers, and 18-wheelers, can have disastrous implications during wrecks. These types of accidents typically involve more vehicles, catastrophic injuries, and fatalities.
If you or your loved one have been involved in a truck accident, you require the legal prowess of an experienced Anniston truck accident lawyer to help you with all aspects of your case.
At Mike Bell Accident & Injury Lawyers, our personal injury lawyers can guide you through Alabama's complex legal doctrines. We can inform you about your rights and responsibilities after a truck accident.
Call Mike Bell Accident & Injury Lawyers today at 256-666-6000 to speak to the best truck accident lawyers. We can represent your interests and help you secure maximum compensation for your injuries. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation. Remember, we don't charge anything until we win your case.
Truck Accident Statistics in Alabama
Truck accidents happen every day on our roads. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration reports that 5,096 large trucks were involved in fatal crashes in 2018. In Alabama, fatalities involving large trucks were 101 in 2015, 149 in 2016, 99 in 2017, 121 in 2018, and 137 in 2019. In the county of Calhoun, there were 7 fatalities in 2016, 5 in 2017, 1 in 2018, and no fatalities in 2019 from crashes involving large trucks.
What Should You Do After a Truck Accident?
If you've suffered injuries after a truck accident in Anniston, Alabama, there are important steps that can help you maximize your compensation. Don't disregard these procedures. You may end up hurting your claim. Below are some crucial steps that Mike Bell Accident & Injury Lawyers highly recommends if you have been involved in a truck wreck in Anniston, AL:
- The first thing to do after a truck accident should be to call 911. You should notify the police if you are involved in a truck accident. Never allow other drivers to talk you out of this step. Law enforcement officers will draft an incident report once they arrive at the scene.
- It is advisable to check up on other involved parties. Try to offer reasonable assistance to anyone who needs help. Be keen not to apologize as you are offering assistance.
- It's a great idea to get the names, addresses, and phone numbers of all involved parties. This makes it easier for you to reach them later. Remember to note down the truck driver's trucking company, license, insurance details, cargo details, and the employer's name.
Document the Scene and Speak with Witnesses
- Try to document everything that happens during your crash. Take videos and capture photographs if possible. You can photograph your injuries, road signs, vehicle damage, and road conditions. These details are key when proving the severity of your damages after the truck accident.
Seek Medical Attention
- It's important to seek medical attention after a truck accident. If you've sustained injuries, visit a doctor as soon as possible. Don't ignore this step since some injuries may take time before they manifest. Your doctor will run tests to identify any underlying issues. Remember to keep a record of your treatment and hospital visits.
Contact an Attorney
Never underestimate the importance of a truck accident lawyer in Anniston after your crash. It's advisable to seek help from a knowledgeable legal expert as soon as possible. Your lawyer will advise you about your options and begin the process of suing the liable party. Reaching out to an Anniston truck accident lawyer at Mike Bell Accident & Injury Lawyers is the most effective way to begin seeking resolution.
What are the Laws Regarding Truck Accident Liability?
Both state and federal laws govern the trucking industry. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations Title 49 govern all trucks involved in interstate traffic. In Alabama, the FMCSA regulations (parts 390-399 and 382-384) apply to tractor-trailers and other commercial vehicles.
All trucking companies in Alabama must report any significant crashes to the local police in Anniston immediately they occur. In case of a fatal truck accident, trucking companies must notify the Public Service Commission within 24 hours. For non-fatal accidents, companies have 15 days to file a report.
In Alabama, carriers are required to maintain log books for 12 months. That's six months more than the federal requirement. The age requirement for drivers is 21 years old. Drivers below this age are prohibited from transporting hazardous materials.
For interstate carriers, Alabama requires liability insurance of $100,000 per individual and $300,000 per wreck. For property damage, the coverage is $50,000. These insurance requirements are much lower than those of the federal government.
The state of Alabama applies contributory negligence rules when determining truck accident liability. These laws bar victims of truck accidents from seeking compensation if they share blame for a crash. You won't receive any compensation for your truck accident in Anniston if your fault in a crash is even 1%.
How Can a Truck Accident Lawyer Help?
An experienced truck accident attorney near Anniston can add value to your claim in several ways. Always consider hiring a seasoned lawyer to help you pursue compensation for your damages. Here's how our skilled legal team can help you:
- The circumstances of every accident are unique. Truck accidents aren't straightforward. Our lawyers will investigate all aspects of your case to prove liability. We will look into evidence such as dashcam footage, black box data, maintenance logs, accident photos, medical records, and police reports to build your case. Let us thoroughly investigate your case and advise you accordingly.
Filing a Claim
- Once we are done with our investigations, our lawyers will determine the value of your claim. We will file a claim that details the severity of your injuries and the compensation you deserve. Having a lawyer by your side ensures you file your claim accurately. Our attorneys will help you throughout this step to make sure you don't leave out crucial details about your claim.
- Insurance companies always try to limit or deny truck accident claims. An experienced Anniston trucking lawyer can negotiate with your insurance company for the best deal. We will fight for the best settlement that can help you fully recover from your ordeal. Our legal team will not settle for anything less than what you deserve.
- Mike Bell Accident & Injury Lawyers is ready to fight for your rights in Alabama courts. Our lawyers will prepare a bulletproof case to take before a judge and jury. We will present an account of what happened during that fateful day. Our evidence will prove the defendant's liability in your crash. We will go above and beyond to ensure you get maximum compensation for your injuries.
What Types of Compensation Can I Receive?
If you are hurt in a truck accident, you may be eligible to receive compensation for your losses. Our Anniston truck accident lawyers at Mike Bell Accident & Injury Lawyers will put together an airtight case to help you get the settlement you deserve. We'll use the evidence we've gathered to pursue compensation for the following damages:
- These damages can be assigned a precise price tag. They are quantifiable losses that you have incurred as a result of your truck accident. They include:
– Lost earnings
– Medical bills
– Funeral expenses
– Lost inheritance
– Nursing care expenses
– Therapy expenses
– Vehicle damage
- These damages are more difficult to determine. They cover losses that adversely impact your life. They are subjective and have an obscure monetary value. You can't assign a specific dollar amount to these damages. They include:
– Pain and suffering
– Lost companionship
– Mental anguish
- Punitive damages aren't available for all truck accident claims. They are awarded on top of the above damages to deter the defendant from repeating similar actions. They serve as a form of punishment. These damages are capped at $1,500,000 in Alabama.
How Much is My Truck Accident Claim Worth?
Every truck accident is different. When determining the worth of an accident claim, many factors need to be considered. The severity of your injuries plays a significant part when determining the amount of compensation you'll receive for your damages.
Insurance policy limits and liability also affect the amount of compensation you'll receive for your crash. Insurance companies will try to limit the amount of compensation for your truck accident. Hiring an experienced Anniston truck accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you deserve. Our experienced team will look into the facts of your claim to determine its value. We'll then proceed to negotiate a fair settlement with your insurer.
Don't let insurance companies bully you into accepting raw deals. At Mike Bell Accident & Injury Lawyers, our lawyers will counter any lowball offers that claims adjusters offer. Let us negotiate with these parties on your behalf to ensure you get the compensation you are entitled to.
Is There a Deadline for Filing a Claim?
Alabama has a statute of limitations for truck accident claims. It specifics the deadline for you to file your personal injury claim. This is two years from the date of the truck wreck that led to your injuries.
There are some exceptions to this rule. For instance, this rule doesn't apply to minors. This deadline is tolled until they turn 19 years old.
How is Fault in a Truck Accident Determined?
You require the help of an experienced truck accident attorney near Anniston to determine liability in a truck accident case. Our legal team will use all available resources to dig deep into the facts of your case. We will conduct thorough investigations into your claim, looking into relevant evidence, including accident photos, black box data, driving logbooks, police reports, cargo details, truck maintenance records, and cell phone records. This will help us determine fault.
Mike Bell Accident & Injury Lawyers will also hire accident reconstruction specialists who will help us understand how the accident happened. We will speak to your doctor to understand the severity of your injuries. Our legal team will also interview witnesses to find out if the defendant breached their duty of care.
Can an Anniston Truck Accident Lawyer Prove the Truck Driver was Negligent?
For you to receive compensation, an experienced Anniston truck accident attorney should prove that the other driver was negligent. Our lawyers will establish negligence using these four elements:
- Duty: Our lawyers will establish the presence of a duty of care in your claim
- Breach: We'll then prove that the defendant breached this duty
- Causation: Mike Bell Accident & Injury Lawyers will prove the defendant's breach resulted in your injuries
- Damages: Finally, our attorneys will prove the extent of your damages
Who Can be Held Liable?
Mike Bell Accident & Injury Lawyers takes legal matters seriously. We act swiftly to unearth all liable parties in your truck accident case. We will investigate all possible roles that any involved parties played in your crash. Here are some of the parties that could be liable for your truck accident:
- Truck driver
- Trucking company
- Shipping and loading companies
- Vehicle or parts manufacturers
Many factors need to be investigated when determining liability. An experienced Anniston truck accident lawyer can help you find out who is responsible for your injuries.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Trucking companies and truck drivers must observe traffic rules. Disregarding best practices in the trucking industry often results in collisions. Here are some common causes of truck accidents:
- Drivers shouldn't drive for long hours to meet deadlines. This can lead to catastrophic accidents.
- Actions such as talking on the phone, texting while driving, and eating can result in truck accidents.
- Speeding and reckless overtaking are actions that may cause a driver to lose control while on the road.
- The use of drugs and alcohol affects the reaction time of drivers. It leads to impairment which can cause accidents.
Oversized or Improperly Secured Freight
- Unbalanced or oversized loads are hard to control. They make it harder for truck drivers to transition between lanes or negotiate corners.
Poorly Trained or Inexperienced Drivers
- Trucking companies should employ qualified individuals to operate their trucks.
Lack of Truck Maintenance
- Failing to maintain truck parts, including tires and brakes, can lead to catastrophic consequences.
- A driver can lose control due to an equipment malfunction. Brakes may malfunction, causing an accident.
Poor Road Conditions
- Road debris, potholes, missing signs, ice patches, and road cracks are conditions that make it harder for trucks to control their vehicles.
Contact A Reputable Anniston Truck Accident at Mike Bell Injury Law Today
If you've sustained injuries in a truck accident, you may be eligible to seek compensation. You have the right to sue the at-fault party for your injuries. However, this can be a daunting task that requires the legal prowess of an experienced team.
At Mike Bell Accident & Injury Lawyers, we will fight for your rights to ensure you get the justice you deserve. Our knowledgeable team knows how to navigate through Alabama's complex legal system. We will conduct comprehensive investigations to unearth all liable parties.
Call us today at 256-666-6000 to schedule a non-obligatory case review. Our lawyers are available 24/7. Get started today to find out if you have a case worth pursuing.